HOST 2019 will include a special hardware demonstration session that allows students and faculty to present their technology-transfer-based research
through a hands-on hardware demonstration. A set of booths equipped with tables and easels will be available to teams during the conference to set up laptops and small
hardware configurations, such as FPGAs, RFID readers, power supplies, etc. Students are required to assemble and display a poster which will serve to illustrate concepts
and more extensive results beyond what is possible using the on-site hardware configuration. Multiple hardware demonstrations sessions will be scheduled into the conference
program. Hardware demos will be also carried out between technical sessions during coffee breaks and before and after lunch and evening receptions.
- The deadline for hardware demonstration proposal submissions is January 15th, 2019, and accepted submissions will be announced on February 1st, 2019.
Please consult the HOST website for any changes in the proposal deadline. All proposals must be submitted through the EasyChair website.
- Proposals are limited to 2-page in length and must follow the template provided on the HOST website.
- A proposal should include a brief 1-paragraph description of the research, with references to previously published papers by the proposers related to the hardware demonstration
if it is applicable. The remainder of the proposal should describe the nature of the hardware demonstration, e.g., a graphic showing the experimental setup and required equipment, the specific features
of the research that will be targeted in the hardware demo, as well as a description of the observables, i.e., what will the audience see?
- Each participating team will prepare a poster for the hardware demo. The content of the poster will have the components of the proposal including the experimental setup and outcomes.
- Please contact hardware demonstration chairs Dr. Saqib at fsaqib at uncc.edu and Dr. Salmani at
hassan.salmani at howard.edu for any queries.
Students associated with hardware demonstrations that are accepted for HOST 2019 will have the opportunity to apply for a scholarship to reimburse registration and hotel costs.
A committee of judges will evaluate hardware demonstrations during the conference. The criteria used by the judges to evaluate the demonstrations are given as follows:
- Did the demo work as they said it would?
- Was there some observable (required according to the specification)?
- How effective was the observable, e.g., was there a graphical user interface to show that reflected aspects of the actual hardware are working, were there some clear indicators that
reflected operations are being performed in the hardware.
- Was the hardware demo well organized and the concepts presented clearly?
- Did the student appear to be knowledgeable about the hardware security area that the demo was tied to?
January 15th, 2019: Deadline for HW demo proposals
February 1st, 2019: Notification of acceptance
TBD: HOST HW demo session
HOST Hardware Demo Chair: Fareena Saqib
E-mail: fsaqib at uncc.edu
Phone: +1 (704) 687-8098
HOST Hardware Demo Co-chair: Hassan Salmani
E-mail: hassan.salmani at howard.edu
Phone: +1 (202) 806-7684