In an effort to further improve the quality of the review process, HOST 2019 will provide authors with the opportunity to respond to reviewer comments
(between the indicated dates below) after receiving their associated reviews. The new step-by-step process is as follows:
- Submission Phase: Authors will register and submit their papers at
by the submission deadline (November 5, 2018). Changes cannot be made to the paper after this deadline is passed.
- Initial Review Phase: TPC members will bid on the submitted papers based on their expertise and
interests before being assigned papers. The TPC members are expected to review all their assigned papers and submit
the reviews to Easychair before the start of the rebuttal phase.
- Rebuttal Phase: At the start of the rebuttal phase (January 8, 2019), authors will be sent all
reviews associated with their paper without a final decision. Authors will be given 5 days to prepare and submit a
brief response to the reviewer comments (detailed instructions are provided below). If desired, authors can also
withdraw their paper during the rebuttal phase in order to submit to another conference. For papers that are withdrawn,
the process will end, i.e., the steps below will not occur. Note that during this phase, no changes to the actual paper
submission can be made.
- Deliberation Phase: After the rebuttal phase (January 13-27, 2019), the program chairs will provide
rebuttals to the TPC members and deliberations will begin. Decisions will be made based on the initial submission as well as
the responses provided in the rebuttal. In some instances, additional reviews may be added during this phase, either upon
request by the TPC members or based upon the assessment of the program chairs. Some reviews may also be updated based on
- Notification Phase: Authors will be sent reviews with final decisions by February 1, 2019. There will
be four types of decisions: (1) Accept; (2) Conditional Accept. In this case, authors will be provided with contact
information of a shepherd who will review the final version of the paper; and (3) Reject.
- Final Submission Phase: Camera-ready versions of all papers will be submitted by the deadline (March 1, 2019).
Shepherds must give final approval to authors who received a conditional accept before their camera-ready submission.
Rebuttal Preparation Instructions for Authors: Authors are not required to respond if they feel the reviews are
accurate or the reviewers have not asked any questions. Authors who choose to provide a rebuttal must adhere to the following rules:
- Authors should continue to maintain their anonymity in their response.
- The rebuttal length will be limited to 1000 words by EasyChair. Hence, authors should focus on the comments and questions from
reviewers that they deem most critical.
- Rebuttals should be largely self-contained, only pointing to generally published literature. Reference to any external documents
edited by the authors after the submission deadline (even anonymously) is not allowed.
Penalty of breaking any of the above rules can result in a reject decision.
Note that authors should not view the initial reviews as an accept or reject, regardless of received comments or scores. All reviews are subject
to change during the deliberation phase based on discussions, the author’s rebuttal, and any other material encountered during the decision making process.
Nevertheless, authors are allowed to withdraw their paper during the rebuttal phase if they prefer to submit their paper elsewhere. To do so, the paper
should be formally withdrawn through the HOST 2019 EasyChair portal and the authors should send an e-mail to the Program Chairs.
November 5, 2018: Submission of Paper
January 8, 2019: Initial Reviews to Authors
January 12, 2019: Rebuttal Submission
February 1, 2019: Notification of Acceptance
March 1, 2019: Camera-ready Paper Submission